The Historic Old Northeast St. Petersburg is THE premier historic neighborhood that everyone wants to be in! There are 2975 historic homes and buildings here, over 4,100 households and some 10,000 residents live here. How did the Old Northeast start? Back in 1911, C. Perry Snell and JC Hamlett took 600 acres of farms & land north of a growing downtown and developed the Old Northeast as one of the first communities in the City. The building boom in the early part of the 1900’s brought various architectural styles from Victorian, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, Spanish, Craftsman Bungalow and more. As suburban areas became more attractive to homeowners, the neighborhood went through a transition until a rejuvenation started in the 1990’s. The long closed Vinoy Hotel was stunningly restored and re-opened in 1992, and Sundial (formerly BayWalk)’s shopping, entertaining and restaurant complex came into play, the Dali and Chihuly opened and the historic Sunken Gardens was restored. We also saw the creation of the popular Saturday Morning Market and USF’s campus was expanded. People have become enchanted by the feeling of the brick lined streets here, the historic charm, and the proximity to downtown parks, dining and entertainment.
The neighborhood’s boundaries are 5th Avenue N/NE on the south and 30th Avenue N/NE on the north with Tampa Bay and Coffee Pot Bayou its eastern boundary and 4th Street N its western boundary. The ONE contains approximately 4,100 households and is home to some 10,000 residents.
The streets that make up the borders of the Old Northeast include 4th Street to the West, 5th Avenue to the South, 30th Avenue to the North, and North Shore Park to the East.